News & More
#MindfulnessMonday The Countdown
Posted April 30, 2020 by Stephanie Donald
Everyone can get overwhelmed in life. If you’ve ever dealt with anxiety you know this all too well, but even those who don’t struggle with it regularly can have trouble finding calm in the storm on occasion. This week’s #MindfulnessMonday is going to help you find an immediate way to bring yourself back to the present.
Last week we did a quick recharge that you can utilize in between games to help you focus. But sometimes you’re in the middle of a game, about to go in, and there are a million “what ifs” running through your brain. So how do you stop the voices and bring yourself back to your next shift?
There’s a trick that people with anxiety use that can help anyone when they’re having trouble focusing. It gives you the ability to bring yourself back to the present moment by drawing on your current surroundings. Just remember five, four, three, two, one.
1. First, point out to yourself five things you see. It could be anything- the shoes you’re wearing or the official’s uniform. Just look around and identify five things.
2. Next touch four things- your hair, your water bottle, whatever is close.
3. Three is things you hear. Is it your teammates communicating with each other or whistles of the officials?
4. Then two things you can smell. Now being real, sweat will likely be one so you may have to dig a little deeper for the second. But scents are incredibly powerful. Allow this one to comfort you and remind you why you enjoy coming to #PlayFoley in the first place.
5. Lastly, what is one thing you can taste? Is it Gatorade, or whatever you had for breakfast? Draw on that flavor for a moment. The best way to finish off this exercise is a deep cleansing breath. Five, four, three, two, one, and you’re ready. This one is one you can use anywhere at any time whether you’re playing or feeling a bit overwhelmed in other areas of your life.